When running some tests on Exchange 2013 Cumulative Update 1, namely migrating Public Folders from Exchange 2010 to 2013, I noticed the migration was taking too long. When querying more details regarding the migration request using the cmdlet Get-PublicFolderMigrationRequest | Get-PublicFolderMigrationRequestStatistics -IncludeReport, I noticed the following error:
The job is currently stalled due to ‘Content Indexing’ lagging behind on resource ‘CiAgeOfLastNotification(Mailbox Database 1415171211)’
When checking the ContentIndexState for this database, it was in a FailedAndSuspended state...
It seems there is a bug in Exchange 2013 RTM and CU1 which causes Exchange to not setup all the groups necessary in Active Directory. Specifically for this case is the group “ContentSubmitters”. As such, if you are experiencing this problem, you need to:
1. Manually create the group in AD under the existing exchange groups OU;
2. Change the security on the group and allow Administrators and NetworkService accounts Full Control;
3. Restart the Microsoft Exchange Search and the Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller services on every Mailbox server.
Now, you should notice the mailbox databases content index status changing from Failed to Healthy, with the migrations starting to transfer at a much better speed.