Saturday, September 3, 2011

550 5.7.1 Submission has been disabled for this account

If you are migrating from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 and 2007 users are getting the following error when e-mailing 2010 users:
   The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
   (…) #550 5.7.1 Submission has been disabled for this account # #

and you see the same error on the 2007 Transport Logs for that e-mail:
    Source:          SMTP
    EventID:         FAIL
    Recipients:      {}
    RecipientStatus: {550 5.7.1 Submission has been disabled for this account}

be aware that this is (most likely) due to a bug (not confirmed with Microsoft) with Exchange 2010...

If your 2007 users have the following set for their mailboxes:
    UseDatabaseQuotaDefaults: True
    ProhibitSendReceiveQuota: 0KB
    ProhibitSendQuota:        0KB

This is what’s causing the issue! Although they are still able to e-mail 2003 and 2007 users, they can’t send e-mails to 2010 users due to the way Exchange 2010 checks the user’s quotas, even though they are set to use the database defaults!...

To check if this has already happened to any of your users, run the following command to check your transport logs for the error message mentioned before:
Get-TransportServer | Get-MessageTrackingLog -ResultSize Unlimited -Start "01/09/2011" -EventID FAIL | ? {$_.RecipientStatus -match "550 5.7.1 Submission"} | Select *, {$_.Recipients}, {$_.RecipientStatus} | Export-Csv D:\Nuno\550.csv -NoTypeInformation

To see if you have any users with 0KB quotas:
Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited -Filter {UseDatabaseQuotaDefaults -eq $True} | ? {$_.ProhibitSendReceiveQuota -eq 0KB -or $_.ProhibitSendQuota -eq 0KB} | Select Alias, ProhibitSendReceiveQuota, ProhibitSendQuota, UseDatabaseQuotaDefaults

and to correct them, run the following:
Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited -Filter {UseDatabaseQuotaDefaults -eq $True} | ? {$_.ProhibitSendReceiveQuota -eq 0KB -or $_.ProhibitSendQuota -eq 0KB} | Set-Mailbox -ProhibitSendQuota unlimited -ProhibitSendReceiveQuota unlimited

Note: 2010 users with 0KB quotas and using the database quota defaults are still able to e-mail 2010 and 2007 users!

Hope this helps!


  1. Very useful information thank you. To add a bit more info, the issue seems to occur when an Exchange 2007 Hub Transport server handles a message destined for an Exchange 2010 Hub Transport Server. This can occur in Orgs that have only Exchange 2010 mailboxes, but legacy 2007 HT servers that handle inter-site traffic.

    1. Hi Alexei,

      Thank you! Glad you find it useful :)
      Have you seen this happening even when the quotas are not set to 0KB?

      Regards, Nuno

  2. Very useful...another thing I figured out is even the mailbox is set to use the datastore quota if it has set as grayed out the settings to configure locally the quotas and it is set as 0KB the issue occurs.

  3. I experienced the same issue in the Hybrid environment I work in. Basically messages from and o365 mailbox sent to external addresses and on premise mailboxes. The mailbox user on premise reported initially that they were not receiving the messages. After digging into AD I found that these senders in o365 were all at one time, terminated or disabled accounts that were re-enabled but the tick mark in ADUC along with the customer attributes still showed disabled or termed. Once those values and tick were changed the mail flowed without issue. So that's something to look at.

    1. Thanks for sharing James, that's good to know!